I have never ever imagined in my life that Bread making/baking will be that tad easy. The only special trick that learnt is to choose the right yeast and the pairing of it with the desired Flour. I have first tried my hands with the Active dry Yeast. But to my disappointment I was not able to accumulate the trick to make the yeast work. But if you have experienced bread baker friends around, you will know success is not too far. It is Amrita and Sayatani I must mention who truly helped me to cheer in joy to see the first fluffy and soft bread coming out of my oven. One can really feel the sheer joy when success kisses your hand and your hard work pays you. Instant Yeast it was on which I am now fully and blindly depending on. First I tried a basic bread recipe with 1 cup of flour. After it got successful I move on to a next step to experiment bread with some stuffing. And now my kitchen is smelling more of the baked breads when Sarani annouced to have a Bread Baking event on our KFB group. She named it 'Yeasty Feasty' and welcomed all Food Bloggers to join the event. To get the detail pls click HERE.
Italian cuisine is always significant with its diversity and the range of dishes that serves and is famous all over the world. Whether it is the various types Pasta or bread, the varieties the cuisine serves are unbeatable. This time I preferred to welcome a bread recipe from Italy to my Indian Kitchen. So I made an Indian Italian Bread that I called: Keema Mattar stuffed Stromboli. Stromboli is a kind of variation of Italian Focaccia. Only the difference is the dough is pierced to allow the stuffing to erupt through the holes during baking. But Stromboli itself is very controversial when it comes about its origin. Some claims it originates in the United States and some in Italy. Recently I treasured one bread baking bible where it states that it is from Italy and the basic base is the same base of a regular Pizza one. So I followed the basic Pizza dough recipe and added my stuffing to it. No need to say it comes out super tasty. So I don't mind whether its an American or Italian by origin as long as food is concerned it has its own charm and when it is tasty who thinks of the origins. So here is my recipe. Do try it and let me know if you have enjoyed it too!!!!
Partially adapted from HERE.
(Yields 3-4 adults)
(Yields 3-4 adults)
For the Stromboli Dough:
All Purpose Flour: 3 cups
Instant Dry Yeast; 3 tspn (I have used the HIGH ACTIVE PRIME INSANT DRY YEAST, available in New Market , Kolakata)
Sugar: 1 tpsn
Olive Oil: 2 tbspns
Warm Water: 1 & 1/2 cup
For the Stuffing:
Minced Chicken/Keema: 200gm
Green Peas: 1/2 cup
Onion: 2 medium (Finely chopped)
Ginger-Ginger paste: 1 tbpn
Tomato: 1 large
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tspn
Cumin Powder: 1tspn
Coriander Powder: 1tspn
Salt & Sugar - as per your taste
White Oil - 1 & 1/2 tbspn
Red Bell pepper: 1/2 cup sliced
Mozzarella Cheese grated: 1/2 cup (You can add more)
Egg - 1 (For the wash)
- First let us make the Stromboli Dough. Mix all the dry ingredients nicely. Then add the liquid and knead at least for 10 - 15 mnts unless the dough looks smooth and soft.
- Cover it with a wet cloth for an hour. You will find it in a double of its size. Knead it again for 2-3 minuits and leave it for another hour to rise again.
- In the meanwhile make the stuffing. Heat oil in a Kadai/Pan. Add the chopped onion and the Ginger-Garlic paste. Saute nicely till it turns brown. And the tomato and fry till the mixture starts to separate oil.
- Add the Minced chicken, Green Peas, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Salt and Sugar to taste. Fold them nicely , then cover with a lid for 4-5 mnts and cook in a medium heat. Then dry the juice whiling cooking it on high flame and then take it off the flame and reserve.
- Now take a Flat baking tray on which you will bake the Stromboli. Cut a wax paper according to the size of the Baking tray.
- Sprinkle Flour on the wax paper and the then roll the dough in to a rectangular shape leaving an inch less from the boundary line of the wax paper.
- Spread the Chicken stuffing lengthwise. Then cut the remaining dough in to 1/2" strips sidewise. Pls check the following link to get a proper knowledge (HERE). Now keep on braiding the strips on from one side and then the other from the opposite sides.
- Pre- Heat the Oven for 10 mnts at 190 degree C.
- Now when you will bake the Stromboli make sure you have greased the Wax paper properly. So just slowly lift one side of the stromboli and grease the wax paper and then the other side.
- Now thoroughly brush the top with the lightly beaten egg wash.
- Bake for 15 mnts. Then again brush the top with Egg wash and bake for another 15 - 20 mnts until it gets a nice light brown shade and crisp.
- Serve with any dip or some salad.
If you would like to know more about the roles of different types of YEASTs, pls visit HERE. Suma has given such a nice detail information about Yeast.
Updated: Active Dry Yeast is available in the stores like Spencers, In & Out or the Local grocers in Kolkata.... 1 tspn Instant Dry yeast = 1 & 1/4 tespn Active Dry Yeast. (Amrita Thanks for the guidance)