A Building may not be formed if you don't have the strong pillars to withstand the roof. Amrita Gill is one of such strong pillars of our Kolkata Food Bloggers group on whom you can blindly trust and give responsibilities. I may have created the group. But without the members of Kolkata Food Bloggers there would be no existence of the group. And every week through this ongoing event "Know your Kolkata Food Blogger Friend", we will keep on introducing each member of Kolkata Food Bloggers group. First let me tell you it is Amrita's idea and concept only to start this event. She is too energetic, vibrant and always ready with lot of innovative and creative ideas just like she posts her awesome recipes on her blog Sweet 'n' Savoury. Oh, make me correct, its not solely her blog. It is their blog. The sweetest couple- Amrita and Vishal of our group, who complement each other at every phase of life, have given the birth of this blog. Apart from having the cutest little 2 years old little princess they are very fondly bonded with the blog too. Amrita who is mainly head over heel in love with baking, proudly takescare of the Sweet part, on the other hand Vishal, who is the lover of seafood, minds the Savoury part. Amrita has made baking so easy for us with are awesome recipes and within a very small phase she proved herself one of the competent Daring bakers too. The best part of her recipes is, the measurements always lead you to make a dish in very small amount. So after making a dish from her blog you will never feel guilty of gulping up the walloping portions for three /four days. The couple, with the sweetest smiles, is totally devoted to the foodie world and passionately enjoy the group of like minded people too. By profession a physiotherapist, Amrita has chosen to stay at home for the time being to take care of her little princess. She is not a good friend of mine but a very matured and honest lady who has the courage to fight for the truth and a treasure of the Kolkata Food Bloggers group. Intelligent and lovely here I have presented Amrita and now would like to share her two dishes Dulce De Leche & Dulce De Leche Brownie (Click to see her recipe)that my family and I literally enjoyed which I made after her given recipes.
Dulche de Leche
(Amrita has adapted the recipe from David Lebovitz)
Condensed milk ( Milkmaid)- 1 can (Amrita has used 1/2 can)
1. I made it in OTG. So I pre-heated the oven for 10 mnts at 220 degree C.
2. Pour condensed milk in an ovenproof glass dish. Make sure it should stardy enough stand the heat for apprx 2hrs.
3. Place this within a baking tray add hot water till it reaches halfway up the sides of the glass dish. Cover the glass dish with an aluminium foil
4. Put it in the oven very carefully so that you should not spill water in side the oven. Bake for 2 hours. (See Note)
5. Keep on checking the water level in between and keep adding hot water as per requirement. Make sure the glass tray should always been half covered in water.
6. Check the condensed milk if it has become thick and changed the colour to brownish.
7. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
8. Once cooled down, store it in an air tight container and refrigerate. It can stay for 2/3 weeks .
1. If you are making the Dulce de Leche out of 1 can it will take more than 2hrs. Make sure don't bake at a stretch in your oven for this long 2hrs. At every hour give the oven break for 8-10mnts.
2. I highly suggest to start with a small quantity as Amrita did.
3. There is a pressure cooker version too. You may check for the recipe HERE.
(Amrita has adapted from David Lebovitz. She halved the original recipe and reduced the quantity of butter, chocolate and eggs. And I followed exactly hers)
Unsalted Butter - 50 gm (I used Amul Butter)
Dark chocolate (chopped )- 50 gm
Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
Egg - 1
Icing Sugar - 1/2 cup
Flour - 1/2 cup
Dulche de leche, - ¼ cup (room temperature)
Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
Milk – 1-2 tbspn (Optional- See Note)
1. Preheat oven to 170 degree C for 10 mnts. (I baked in OTG)
2. Grease a loaf pan (I used 6X3).
3, Melt butter in a pan or microwave not more than 15 secs. If it is already in the room temperature then just melt it in to liquid but don't heat it much.(apprx for 5-7 secs)
4. Add the chopped chocolate pieces and stir well till all the pieces have melted. (If the chocolate are not melted then you can melt them in a double boiler or in micro-oven just more few second. Don't over heat).
5. Add cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
6. Add egg and stir in the sugar, vanilla and the flour. (When you add the egg be sure that the chocolate mixture is not hot. If it is hot then just keep the container on a water filled tray for few mnts to cool it down.)
7. Mix well so that all the ingredients get incorporated well. If you feel that the batter has become too sticky and thick then add milk. Otherwise don't use the milk.
8. Pour half the batter in the prepared tin.
9. Take a spoonful of Dulche De Leche and pour like drops all over the batter.
10. Take a knife and slowly just by inserting a bit in the Dulce De Leche drop move in a swirl to give the latte art effect.
11. Spread the remaining brownie batter over.
12. Drop the remaining Dulche De Leche and use a knife to swirl it in the same manner you did for the first layer.
13. Bake for 20-25 mints or till the center feels just slightly firm.
14. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Slice, serve and enjoy.
1. The use of Milk is optional. But I will suggest to give it handy as if the batter by any chance gets too thick you can use it.
2. When you are baking this brownie pls keep on checking in between. Over baking may turn the brownie too hard.
Last time I am the one who got featured in the "Know your Kolkata Bloggers Friend". I am so glad to see the bunch of posts gloried by trying one of my recipes and writing about me such sweet words. If you you want to see what recipes my friends has tried and written about me then pls visit the following links: