I had to leave for the airport that day. So told the cook to come and make some dinner for the plane for my little one, who is not fond of the spicy food served in the air pantry very much yet. I had taken out a block of chicken breast and had the plan to tell the cook to make chicken curry and roti/flat bread. I was too busy with all the packing and last minute's cleaning. Suddenly my eyes got stuck on the watch and I found that only 1 hour left to leave. My cook had not turned up yet. Within this short span of time I geared up, entered in the kitchen and made this chicken rice in a hurricane speed. Had some yogurt handy, packed it and got the dinner ready. The cook did turn up half an hour before we left. She is quite reliable and knows her responsibilities well. But always depending blindly on them proves to fall in a pandemonium.
This dish is very quick and easy to make. And at the same time it's very tasty also. Mainly it's a very satisfactory dish for the kids. I always store my freezer and keep handy with the boneless chicken blocks and minced chicken. They do come handy at any time. And there are so many variations to cook the quick dishes that can be only discovered when you're in a hurry. Your brain works very creative at that busy hour and you will surely come up with some very tasty dishes and that then becomes one of the common grubs on your table. Trust me I am telling this only from my experiences. I shared the dish with my Mom and sister who always look for some easy and short time taking dishes to serve the men's lunch boxes. This one is a one item dish which can be devoured alone but goes great if you pair it up with Raita/ spiced yogurt or salad.
(Yields 2 in moderation )
Basmati Rice- 1 cup
Boneless chicken (cut in to very small pieces)- 1 cup
Onion- 1 big (Sliced)
Garlic- 3-4 cloves
Tomato- 1 large (Chopped)
Whole Garam Masala- 1-2 (Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon)
Turmeric Powder- 1 tea spoon
Cumin Powder- 1 tea spoon
Coriander Powder- 1 tea spoon
Red Chilly Powder- 1/2 tea spoon
Salt and Sugar as per taste.
Oil- 2 table spoon
- Cook the rice with salt till its almost done. Strain the excess water out and reserve.
- Heat oil in a Deep bottom Pan or a Kadai. Add the Garam Masala. When it will start to splatter add 1/2 tea spoon of sugar when the sugar will get caramelized and the whole Garlic cloves. Let it turn brown and then add the onion slices. Keep the onion fry till it gets a brown colour and a nice fried smelling.
- Add the Tomato and fry till it starts to separate oil.
- Add the chicken and all the other ingredients . Mix altogether nicely and then cover with a lid and cook in a low flame till the Chicken are well cooked.
- Boneless chicken takes approximately 10-15 mnts. When the chicken was done add the rice and mix nicely. Please taste if salt or sugar is needed. When done serve hot with salad, yogurt or some curry. It tastes awesome with only yogurt.
- You can add Coriander leaves and Curry leaves as well to enrich the taste and the flavour.
- You can add boiled vegetable for extra nutrition for the kids.
- Vegetarians can omit the chicken and add Paneer, Soy Chunks, vegetable, Potato etc….