July 30, 2010

How to get rid of a Burning Yellow Stain from your Microwave


Last Sunday when my day started in exultation, it gleamed off to a galling fortuity. That Sunday morning was too lustrous for me as I resumed my blog again. My Husband was occupied in his prolonged last hours nap. My daughter woke up early, had her breakfast and we both were about to start our dance practice. Before that, to come down my hungry appetite I put the Ready-to-eat Chow-Mein to the microwave and joined my daughter to tap the floor. The music was on, my heart was floating in a kind of glee and my daughter was as usual in her gaiety mood. Suddenly my great redolent power froze me and the fume from the microwave made me stuck dumb for few seconds. I gathered all my intelligence and in a quick jump turn off the microwave. A burning smell almost clogged my breath. I locked my daughter in the bedroom with my husband. Opened all the possible way outs to get rid of the reek and to avoid the smoke alarm on. Covered my face with a towel and with a pounding heart opened the door of the microwave and found the charred plastic container. It didn’t take a second more to reveal what bungled mistake I had done. I had forgotten to add water to the Chow-Mein. Hapless I was just got the final shock when I stared into the Microwave. Somebody had just changed the white body into a yellow tarnish. We live in a rented house along with a furnished kitchen and the rental clauses say to leave the house before departure just as same we found while entering. The first dismaying thought crashed my mind with an outlay of around $300-400. The second thought came of getting a berating about my carelessness form my husband. Just on the verge of a sinking soul and ready to flow tears I started to scrub the yellow stain. All my efforts just went in vein when the firm stain didn’t lighten up a little. Without wasting more time and effort I sat down with my Laptop and started searching for the solution in the net. I felt relaxed that I was not the only execrable lady to bawl out. I found almost a handful of posting about burning plastic in the microwave and there were a handful of angels too who gave different solutions to get rid of the burning yellow stain from the microwave. So I started experimenting the solutions one by one.




Solution No 1:-

Scrub the stain with vinegar and water.

Result:-
Didn’t work.



Solution No 2:-

Scrub the stain with vinegar and baking soda.

Result:-

Didn’t work.



Solution No 3:-

Clean the stain with 100% bleach.

Result:-

I didn’t have Bleach at home. So not sure about the fact. But majority voted for the best result.



Solution No 4:-

Use Nail polish remover to scrub the stain. Always use white napkin each time you scrub.

Result:-
It did work. The stain just got vanished like a magic.



There were many more but I stopped my search here.



I am not so much fond of cosmetics. I hardly apply nail polishes and use removers. I bought one nail polish remover a year back in India and it did travel with me in this far away land, kept itself settled in a corner of a shelf without any notice all these months. But now it came like a saviour and emptied itself to save my poor soul from the dismay. Forgot to mention, while I was busy in staining off the parchedness, I felt a pat in my back and found my husband with an impish smile and a question mark in his face. I explained what happened in tears and to my surprise he just smiled and told me not to take too much tension, we would find out some solution. At that moment I just thought that I got the best husband of the world. Any way the little bottle of my nail polish remover saved me and showed me the path of the solution. It would be a great mistake if I would not praise my daughter. During this skirmish she didn’t disturb me for a second. She obeyed my each and every single word to my surprise.

5 days passed but still I can nose the burning smell. I got a solution to obviate the burning smell from the microwave. Put some Orange skin in water and microwave it for 5-6 minutes. It really worked well.
 

My husband arranged that day a delectable lunch in one of my favourite restaurants to celebrate my win over the tarnish. Whatever happened in between, the day started good and ended good. Truly said - All is well that ends well.



36 comments:

? said...

:-)

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Sorry to read about your bad experience using mw, luckily you're safe....by this accident, you have discovered the best formula to remove burning stain from mw, thanks for the great tip dear. Have a great weekend!

Sayantani said...

thats a big nightmare...but you managed well. tips ta khub bhalo...amio bleaching use kori kintu nail polish remover ta anek better option. thanks.

Hari Chandana said...

really wonderful post.. thanks for visiting my blog.. Keep in touch dear :)

Cheers,
Hari Chandana

Deepanjana said...

wow, this is really an accomplishment, thanks for sharing this solution, it may come in handy for almost all of us.

Uma said...

at last you managed to clean it and get rid of the smell.. plus saved money too..

Mary said...

I'm so glad you were able to find a solution to your problem. You saved the day and got a lunch out as well. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Jay said...

lovely post...very informative and liked your nice presentation dear.

simply.food said...

Next time bicarbonate of soda made into a paste.It works on most stains.As for the odour I was going to suggest place couple of slices of lemon in a bowl of water and microvawe on high.

Kamalika said...

THanks all of you fro visiting my blog and leaving behind the comments.....it surely a grt relax to get the solutions..

@Simply.food, thanks for tips dear...will kepp in mind....

Chef Bee said...

Thanks for the tip, it's a good one to share.

Plan B

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Kamalika
Very well presented..thanks for sharing
Bhalo theko

Kamalika said...

@Chef Bee, THanks for visiting my blog...do visit again....

@Ushnishda, Thanks for the comment..tmio khub bhalo theko...

Sayantani said...

Happy Friendship day. khub bhalo thakis.

Biren said...

Glad that you were finally able to get the stain off :)

An Open Book said...

u are def not alone in this..i have done much worse things...like lose my credit card and not realize it for day etc etc...
good that you managed 2 solve the problems...

Gouri Guha said...

Kamalika,
good post to read...informative too.
Bhalo korle share kore.

Happy Cook said...

Love the idea of orange too, i normally do lime.

Aparna S Mallya said...

Nail polish remover! Now who wud think of that!? I can imagine yr anxiety. I get very anxious when I drop turmeric on the kitchen counter. Now who wants to pay $200 fr that!

Babli said...

Very nice, informative and useful information. Thanks a lot for sharing with us and giving your valuable suggestion. It will be of great help.
Wish you a Happy Friendship Day.

Sushma Mallya said...

Very useful post kamalika, thanks for sharing

PranisKitchen said...

thats such a bad experience.. always be careful while cooking this ready to eat food boxes.
good information ..sure will try

Sarah Naveen said...

very informative..thanks for sharing

Kamalika said...

Thanks everybody for you valuable comments and the for the advicestoo....

Sanjukta said...

wonderful post kamalika and thanks for sharing the valuable tip.

Sushma Mallya said...

Oh how are you feeling now kamalika?take a tablet or apply vicks and sleep well, you ll be better...hope you get well soon, ..or go to a doctor...Miss chatting with you...actually am in my parents place as amit has holidays now, will soon chat with you when i come back..take care and take good rest dear...

Sushma Mallya said...

Ya enjoying my vacation,meeting them after so many months so very happy to be here...you take care and do get well soon kamalika...

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Kamalika,
Very informative post. amar ekbar microwave e cake korte giye jole gechilo. Ki bichirri smell hoyechilo microwave e. Ami lemon wedges jal e doye ghuralam. It was ok after that.
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Padhu said...

OMG!! take care while cooking! Thanks for taking efforts and giving us tips

♥Aps♥ said...

Truly said..... all is well tht ends well...
I kno how it feels when such a thing takes place..... nd who wud pay so much for just tht :D

Pari said...

Hi Kamalika, I must first say 'Thank God' you escaped an accident narrowly. Must say a very informative post.
Thanks for your encouraging comments at my space, surely are motivating. Keep visiting.
FOODELICIOUS

Kamalika said...

Thanks to all of you for your valuable comments....

nivedita said...

Hi Kamalika
Thanks for these tips.
Good you escaped from a bad thing.

Anonymous said...

Hey There. I discovered your blog using msn. This is a
very well written article. I will make sure to bookmark
it and return to learn more of your helpful info.

Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.
Feel free to surf my blog :: how to get rid of static cling

sweta mazumder said...

Thank you a lot a lot.. I brought an white microwave just 1 week before.and today I have faced the same disaster you faced.. I put a dry cake for reheating in high.and the container got burned.I am a first timer in using microwave.
I was feeling helpless. U just rescued me from the ugly yellow stain. thanks again.

sweta mazumder said...

Thank you a lot a lot.. I brought an white microwave just 1 week before.and today I have faced the same disaster you faced.. I put a dry cake for reheating in high.and the container got burned.I am a first timer in using microwave.
I was feeling helpless. U just rescued me from the ugly yellow stain. thanks again.