In Bengal, preparing fish with cauliflower is very famous. Few days back, just for a change I thought of cooking chicken with cauliflower. Though I cooked the dish with a pounding heart and with the thought whether my family members were going to like it or not, to my satisfaction the dish turned out too tasty. Here I came with the recipe to share with you all.
Chicken- 500gm (cut in to medium pieces)
Cauliflower- Half of a medium size
Potato- 2 medium size (optional)
Garlic & ginger paste -2tsp
Garam Masala whole- 2 of each (Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove)
Cumin seeds- ¼ tsp
Star Anise- 2 flowers
Oil- 4 + 2+2 tbsp (It can be less or more)
Turmeric Pwdr- ¼ tsp
Cumin Pwdr- ¼ tsp
Coriander Pwdr- ¼ tsp
1. Marinate the chicken with all the ingredients given under the Marinade head. Keep for 15 to 20 mnts.
2. Cut the cauliflower in medium sized florets. Cut the potato in big cubes. Roughly chop the onion and the tomato.
3. Take a deep dense pan or korari. Heat 2 tbsp oil. When the oil is hot enough add the star anise, garam masala and the bay leaves. Let them splutter. Add the marinated chicken and cook in low flame till the chicken becomes almost tender and all the juice evaporates. You can use a lid if you wish. Add the reserved fried potatoes and cauliflower in the chicken and mix them well.
4. On the other hand take another deep dense pan or korari. Heat 4tbsp oil. When the oil is hot enough put the cauliflower and the potatoes. Fry them till they turn semi brown. Take out the cauliflower and the potatoes draining the extra oil and reserve.
5. Add 2 tbsp oil in the same pan with the remaining oil. Temper with cumin seeds and wait to splutter. Add the garlic and ginger paste and fry till they turn brown. Add the onion and keep on frying. When the onion turns brown add the tomatoes and fry till the oil separates. Take off the stove and let it cool. Grind the onion mixture in to a fine paste.
6. Now add the onion, tomato paste in the chicken and fold nicely altogether. Taste if more salt or sugar is needed. Cook till the chicken and potatoes become tender. Serve with rice, roti or bread. You can add green chilli and coriander leaves too..
Note:- Most of the time to get a thick gravy I use the onion and tomato paste. The paste makes a dish very tasty. It takes very little oil to fry and saves a lot of time to gravy making.